|Trail Head Distance N||10.4 Miles|
|Trail Head Distance S||3.3 Miles|
|Nearest Medical||Elizabethton, TN|
|Show Large Map|
A wood plank structure. Previously known as the Roan Highlands Shelter, it was renamed to honor Stan Murray - long time TEHCC leader, ATC board member and founder of the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy.
On the north slope of Grassy Ridge in Low Gap, 3.3 miles from Carver's Gap towards US19E.
Water is found 100 yards from the shelter on a blue blaze trail.
- Oct 2017: Major rehab event - raised back of shelter to level sleeping platform, made new sleeping platform, sealed under platform to reduce trash, repaired rafters, installed metal roof, replaced some battens, painted both inside and outside, and stiffened picnic table.
- Oct 2000: Inside painted to cover up graffiti.
- 1995: Renamed from Roan Highlands Shelter to Stan Murray Shelter.
- 1994: Installed picnic table, painted shelter.
- 1993: Extended roof and sides, added gutters front and rear, repaired hole in floor, reinforced floor in front.
- 1977: Built by the United States Forest Service.
|Shelter name||Section||Trail distance from Damascus|
|Abingdon Gap Shelter||US421 to Damascus||10.2|
|McQueens Knob Shelter (emergency shelter)||US421 to Damascus||11.7|
|Double Springs Shelter||TN91 to US421||18.5|
|Iron Mountain Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||26.1|
|Vandeventer Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||32.9|
|Watauga Lake Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||40.1|
|Laurel Fork Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||48.7|
|Moreland Gap Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||57.3|
|Mountaineer Falls Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||66.9|
|Overmountain Shelter (Yellow Mountain Barn)||Carver's Gap to US19E||84.9|
|Stan Murray Shelter||Carver's Gap to US19E||86.8|
|Roan High Knob Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||92.0|
|Clyde Smith Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||100.5|
|Cherry Gap Shelter||Indian Grave Gap to Iron Mountain Gap||109.6|
|Curley Maple Gap Shelter||Nolichucky River to Indian Grave Gap||122.4|
|No Business Knob Shelter||Spivey Gap to Nolichucky River||132.9|
Per the 2016 AT Data Book.