|Trail Head Distance N||3.5 Miles|
|Trail Head Distance S||3.0 Miles|
|Nearest Medical||Bristol, TN|
|Show Large Map|
Basic three-sided concrete block/metal roof shelter with wooden sleeping platform.
Just west of the trail at the junction of Holston and Cross Mountains between US421 and TN91.
A spring is located 100 yards downhill west of the shelter.
A bear was encountered at the shelter on October 21st, 2015. While it showed no signs of aggression, when hikers arrived, it didn't leave the area.
- Oct 2017: Repainted the graffiti board.
- Mar 2016: Attempted to repair roof leak by placing pieces of expanding foam under the ridge cap in the back.
- 2011: Repaired sleeping platform with some new plywood, painted inside of shelter, and caulked roofing nails.
- 1992: New roof support system installed and roof replaced. Painted shelter inside and out. Added gutter on front, drainage in back. Installed picnic table.
- 1991: Roof repaired.
- 1960: Built by US Forest Service.
|Shelter name||Section||Trail distance from Damascus|
|Abingdon Gap Shelter||US421 to Damascus||10.2|
|McQueens Knob Shelter (emergency shelter)||US421 to Damascus||11.7|
|Double Springs Shelter||TN91 to US421||18.5|
|Iron Mountain Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||26.1|
|Vandeventer Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||32.9|
|Watauga Lake Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||40.1|
|Laurel Fork Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||48.7|
|Moreland Gap Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||57.3|
|Mountaineer Falls Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||66.9|
|Overmountain Shelter (Yellow Mountain Barn)||Carver's Gap to US19E||84.9|
|Stan Murray Shelter||Carver's Gap to US19E||86.8|
|Roan High Knob Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||92.0|
|Clyde Smith Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||100.5|
|Cherry Gap Shelter||Indian Grave Gap to Iron Mountain Gap||109.6|
|Curley Maple Gap Shelter||Nolichucky River to Indian Grave Gap||122.4|
|No Business Knob Shelter||Spivey Gap to Nolichucky River||132.9|
Per the 2016 AT Data Book.