|Trail Head Distance N||3.3 Miles|
|Trail Head Distance S||6.1 Miles|
|Nearest Medical||Erwin, TN|
|Show Large Map|
Three-sided wood shelter with metal roof – and covered front porch.
Trail-south of Little Rock Knob, between Hughes Gap and Iron Mountain Gap. The shelter is 120 yards (measured August 2014) from the AT on a blue-blazed side trail.
A spring is located 205 yards (measured August 2014) west of the shelter down a steep hill. It consists of a buried drum for water collection which overflows from a 2" plastic pipe for easier filling of water bottles.
- 2012: Caulked all roof screws.
- May 2009: Eagle project improved the spring water source. TEHCC newsletter article
- Renamed from Roan Highlands Shelter to Clyde Smith Shelter.
- May 2002: Remodeled from floor up during Hard Core event. Porch with eating area and upper level bunks were added.
- Nov 1993: Roof extended by 2 ft and sides added to reduce the probability of rain blowing into the shelter.
- 1976: Built by U.S. Forest Service.
|Shelter name||Section||Trail distance from Damascus|
|Abingdon Gap Shelter||US421 to Damascus||10.2|
|McQueens Knob Shelter (emergency shelter)||US421 to Damascus||11.2|
|Double Springs Shelter||TN91 to US421||18.5|
|Iron Mountain Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||26.1|
|Vandeventer Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||32.9|
|Watauga Lake Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||40.1|
|Laurel Fork Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||48.5|
|Moreland Gap Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||56.7|
|Mountaineer Falls Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||66.3|
|Overmountain Shelter (Yellow Mountain Barn)||Carver's Gap to US19E||84.3|
|Stan Murray Shelter||Carver's Gap to US19E||86.2|
|Roan High Knob Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||91.4|
|Clyde Smith Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||99.3|
|Cherry Gap Shelter||Indian Grave Gap to Iron Mountain Gap||108.4|
|Curley Maple Gap Shelter||Nolichucky River to Indian Grave Gap||121.2|
|No Business Knob Shelter||Spivey Gap to Nolichucky River||131.7|
Per the 2013 14th Edition of Appalachian Trail Guide - with updates submitted for 2014 AT Data Book starting at Moreland Gap shelter.