Nice fairly short trail to a nice cascading falls, that in the winter can ice over very well.
How to get there
From Johnson City, TN
- Turn onto Cherokee Road, TN 67.
- In about 10 miles, turn left onto TN 81 (toward Erwin).
- On Tenn. 81, drive 0.8 miles (cross Nolichucky River).
- Turn right on TN 107 west (toward Tusculum).
- Drive 13.8 miles from TN 81/107 junction.
- Turn left toward USFS Horse Creek Recreation Area (sign).
- Proceed 0.8 miles.
- Turn right (sign -Horse Creek, Old Forge).
- Almost immediately (0.1 miles) turn right onto Union Chapel Road.
- Then after 0.2 miles, turn left onto Greene Ridge Road.
- After 0.6 miles turn left onto Greystone Road. Stay on most used route on narrow, winding road.
- At about 3.2 miles, turn left onto Shelton Mission Church Road (sign to church).
- Proceed 2.2 miles on Shelton Mission Chuch Road (pass church, cross bridge), and reach gravel road (USFS sign to Bullen Hollow and Margarette Falls Trails).
- Turn left and drive on rough road for 0.5 miles to turnaround and parking area.
Hike 0.6 miles up the Bullen Hollow Trail (blue blaze). The Margarette Falls Trail (FS #189) is apparently the second blazed trail off of Bullen Hollow Trail (do not ford main creek). It takes the right fork of the creek and the falls are about 0.75 miles from Bullen Trail intersection with several fords on this trail.
Do not follow the yellow blazes as those are for a very steep off-road vehicle trail to the top of Camp Creek Bald.
|Miles||Elevation||Margarette Falls Trail|
|0.6||2100||Fork for Bullen Hollow Trail|
Trail improvements have installed three bridges, thus leaving just one creek crossing. The path is rough with lots of large boulders.
Fees, Permits, etc.
After the Hike
Greeneville Hiking Club has an excellent description of the trail.  They also have an extension on this hike up to Bailey Falls, which is another 1/3rd of a mile, but involves a difficult wall climb to the right of Margarette Falls.