Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area
|Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area|
|Park Type||State Natural Area|
|Located||Roan Mountain, Tennessee|
|External Links||Official Website|
|ActivitiesThings to do at the park|
|Park AmenitiesThings built to enjoy or use at the park||
|FeaturesNatural things to see at the park|
3 Trails / Total of 0.00 miles0 km <br />
|Park Area||693 acres2.804 km² <br />|
|Operated By||Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation|
|Main Location||36° 9' 8.57" N, 82° 3' 20.63" W Map|
|Show In Google Maps|
Working farm with hiking trails leading into nice forests. Important bird-watching area for rare golden-winged warblers.
How to get there
From Johnson City, TN
- Head south on Roan Street for 3.5 miles passing under I-26.
- Take left/east onto TN359/Okolona Road and travel 1.4 miles.
- Take right/south onto TN361 over to US19E for nine miles. The road starts as Laurels Road, then Dry Creek Road and finally Gap Creek Road.
- Travel US19E for ten miles to town of Roan Mountain.
- Take right/south onto TN143.
- As soon as the highway divides take left/north onto Old Highway 143.
- Turn right/east onto Hampton Creek Road and proceed three miles
- Parking area is on left/east side of road. Space available for a dozen vehicles.
There are currently three trails in the nature area. All begin from the parking lot by following the Overmountain Trail to common junction. Shell Hollow proceeds up a dirt road past a former homestead to become a loop up on Big Ridge. Birchfield Trail follows the western side of Left Prong creek until it rejoins the Overmountain Trail, which proceeds on the eastern side of the creek but continues up Yellow Mountain to intersection with the Appalachian Trail at the gap.
|Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail||Medium|
|Shell Hollow Trail||Easy|
Signage for the OVNHT is adequate while those for the other two trails needs to be updated as not clear where are their lower access points. The information kiosks at several points also have badly crazed, thus should be considered for replacement.
Fees, Permits, etc.
No permit or fee. The nature area closes at dusk.
NOTE Hunting is permitted. Use precaution when hiking during hunting season
Hampton Creek Cove is a 693-acre natural area.
The official TN.gov Hampton Creek Cove webpage.