The Town of Abingdon joins the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Mount Rogers Appalachian Trail Club in cordially inviting you to participate in the official designation of Abingdon as an Appalachian Trail Community™. This event will take place in Abingdon, VA on September 11th at 6pm at the Abingdon Farmer’s Market. Come out early to the Higher Education Center for a “Hikers and Bikers” presentation and hear from ATC’s Executive Director, Mark Wenger, about his Appalachian Trail section hike. The presentation begins at 4pm. We’d love to celebrate with you and hope to see you on Tuesday, September 11th!
The Appalachian Trail Community™ program recognizes communities who are taking extra steps to promote and protect the Appalachian Trail. Designation as an Appalachian Trail Community™ is intended to:
- Engage community residents, Trail visitors, and stewards
- Thank communities for decades of service to hikers
- Catalyze sustainable economic development
- Aid local municipalities and regional areas with conservation planning
- Raise local awareness of the Trail as a community resource and asset
Please RSVP by September 1, 2012 to Tenille Montgomery (firstname.lastname@example.org) 276-676-2282.