Shelter:No Business Knob
|Shelter||No Business Knob|
|Trail Head Distance N||6.3 Miles|
|Trail Head Distance S||4.9 Miles|
|Nearest Medical||Erwin, TN|
|Show Large Map|
Basic three-sided concrete-block shelter with open front and wooden sleeping platform.
From July 1994 newsletter, we learn that: “No Business Knob is named for a gentleman who tried to climb it a few years after a fire, when the top was impassable due to briars and brush. He decided that he had no business being there.”
On the east slope of No Business Knob, between Nolichucky River and Spivey Gap.
A spring is located about 200 yards trail-south on AT.
- 2015: Further rework needed from BSA project to correct interior peeling paint, too high edge on wire mesh (catching people), open blocks on knee wall, and address roof (just cleaned, but not painted).
- 2014: BSA Eagle Scout Tom Merrimon painted the shelter exterior a dark brown and provided a picnic table.
- 1997: Painted inside to remove grafitti.
- 1993: Painted inside and out. Painted roof (rust-proofed). Installed picnic table.
- 1990: Roof repaired.
- 1963: Built by US Forest Service.
|Shelter name||Section||Trail distance from Damascus|
|Abingdon Gap Shelter||US421 to Damascus||10.2|
|McQueens Knob Shelter (emergency shelter)||US421 to Damascus||11.7|
|Double Springs Shelter||TN91 to US421||18.5|
|Iron Mountain Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||26.1|
|Vandeventer Shelter||Wilbur Dam Rd to TN91||32.9|
|Watauga Lake Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||40.1|
|Laurel Fork Shelter||Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd||48.7|
|Moreland Gap Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||57.3|
|Mountaineer Falls Shelter||US19E to Dennis Cove Rd||66.9|
|Overmountain Shelter (Yellow Mountain Barn)||Carver's Gap to US19E||84.9|
|Stan Murray Shelter||Carver's Gap to US19E||86.8|
|Roan High Knob Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||92.0|
|Clyde Smith Shelter||Iron Mountain Gap to Carver's Gap||100.5|
|Cherry Gap Shelter||Indian Grave Gap to Iron Mountain Gap||109.6|
|Curley Maple Gap Shelter||Nolichucky River to Indian Grave Gap||122.4|
|No Business Knob Shelter||Spivey Gap to Nolichucky River||132.9|
Per the 2016 AT Data Book.