Aligning with guidance from our partner organizations and employer, the following actions are being taken in response to the current situation for the coronavirus. If the principles of social distancing and wearing of face masks in public spaces are being properly followed along with avoiding hot spot areas, the risk of contracting COVID-19 is still considered to be moderately low in our region. Tennessee and North Carolina plus the Appalachian Trail Conservancy are in Phase 2 of their respective plans for reopening activity. Virginia has remains in Phase 3 plan with some restrictions.
TEHCC Fall Lunch
See the event notice about the club hosting a ribbon-cutting for the revitalized Forest Walk loop trail at Eastman Recreation park on Sunday, October 25th.
TEHCC Hiking Program
- As Eastman Chemical has started to bring more employees back full-time on-site, the Steering Committee decided to begin the 2020 hiking program in July. Watch the Events calendar for outings and read the newsletters for details.
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) reminds users of the A.T. to remain safe with several recommendations found in this blog post.
- Many shuttle services are still temporarily halting operation, while few have reopened.
- 7/8: Cherokee NF notice: “The Appalachian Trail is open, however trail shelters and privies are temporarily shut down“.
- 7/14: Pisgah NF has closed the A.T. shelters (Stan Murray and Overmountain) link to order – latter was already closed due to structural damage. While the order says through July 8, PNF still considers these facilities to be closed.
- ATC advises: Overnight hikers should carry a personal shelter and camp at least 200 feet from any source of water and 100 feet from the trail. Also, bring a trowel to bury your fecal waste at least 70 adult paces from campsites and water sources.
- Pisgah (NC) and Cherokee (TN) National Forests are now allowing volunteers with restrictions under Phase 2 to complete maintenance and repair. TEHCC has interpreted these conditions include limiting crew size, only travel with immediate family, not sharing tools, wash hands or use sanitizer frequently especially before eating, and maintaining 6′ social distancing in the field. Do no maintenance at the closed shelters and privy, including nearby trash pick-up.
- Regular Thursday maintenance crew is operating but with just 8-10 crew members arranged by the A.T. Projects Coordinator.
- Saturday Hiking with Tools will be held on the second Saturday in October to provide training for some new volunteers. Check the newsletter and club calendar for details.
- Overall, the A.T. section managed by TEHCC is clear and open. Some pockets of heavy growth are still being pursued with the record-setting rainfall experience early in 2020.
- Present understanding is that day hikers are allowed on area trails but keeping group size to a minimum with less carpooling. Take hand sanitizer to use liberally.
- Bays Mountain Park (Kingsport) is open. Nature Center and some programming resumed with limited capacity.
- Trails in Cherokee National Forest are open for use, but ranger stations are closed.
- Trails in TN state parks are open for use, but some park facilities remain closed.
- Virginia State Parks opened for day-use activities, including trails for hiking, biking and equestrian use. Campgrounds, restrooms, and picnic shelters are open. Face coverings are required in all park facilities. Bring cash for entrance fees which are being collected.
- In all cases, maintain social distancing of at least six feet. If parking area is full, head somewhere else. There are much lesser used access points and trails in the region.
- Eastman Recreation says club rental backpacking and camping equipment may be checked out from Building 310. Their open hours are 7:30am to 4pm weekdays. Good use has been reported, thus recommend making reservations at (423) 229-3771.
- Tuesday Evenings: Johnson City Roll Practice are suspended as Freedom Hall Pool is closed.
- Thursday Evenings: Kayak Sessions are not being held as Kingsport Aquatic Center is also closed until further notice.
- USFS has reopened most river launch sites. Outfitters are offering trips with limited number of same family in each raft.